Wednesday 4 January 2012

2012 1000 Film Challenge - Days 1, 2 and 3

For those that aren't in the know, I have decided to challenge myself to watch a grand total of 1000 films in 2012.  These can include films I have seen previously in my life, as well as brand new movies.  I also aim to blog about the films I watch.
As its the 4th January now, I can blog about the films watched from the 1st to the 4th January 2012...so here goes!
1st January 2012 - KINGPIN
What better way to start my year off than watching this slice of comedy gold!  WHO YOU CALLING A PSYCHO?  One of the best lines in film history, and one that me & my friends still do on the odd occasion (usually after drinking).  Woody Harrellson is awesome as Abu Hamza, whilst Randy Quaid plays a naive Amish man better than Harrison Ford ever could.  Vanessa Angels boobs seem to be made out of jelly, but I did enjoy her wearing very little.  Best part of this film?  Bill Murrays hairline!
I loves a bit of gross out comedy, so watching Woody drink bull spunk was great, plus how can you be upset when the last line of the film is goodbye whore?  Pure genius - shame the Farrelly Brothers went on to make Stuck On You...
1st January 2012 - THE MONEY PIT
I remember LMFAO to this film when it was released.  Sure, its aged a bit but Tom Hanks still shows that he can look stupid & make silly noises in order to get cheap laughs.  Shelley Long may have been good in Cheers but in this film her haircut angers me, yet I would still have sex with her...I'm a sick man, I know!  This film was great for 2 scenes - the falling off the roof & the getting stuck in the floor scene.  Both involve Hanks being the same character he's played for the past 20 years, so its good that he wasnt typecast after this.  Is Shelley Long still alive?  Does anyone have her number?
1st January 2012 - COMING TO AMERICA
This was coming to the tail-end of when Eddie Murphy was funny.  As is usually the case with his films in the early-mid 90s, he tended to play numerous comedic roles in the same film.  Most of which were not funny.  Though I do have to say that he played an elderly hassidic white jew quite convincingly.  This hear-warming tale of a rich man who pretends to be poor in order to marry a local girl (who, unlike the bride he has picked for him) won't obey his every command.  Sex and Sandwiches on tap, or intelligence and conversation?  Hmmm, tough choice, but I prefer Chicken & spicy mexican rice in my sandwiches love!
I especially loved how Eddie & Arsenio Hall actually blacked up more to play the barbers.  Is that reverse racism?  I dont know...Best acting in this film tho has to go to Cuba Gooding Jr, who lights up the screen with his first role as Barber Shop Customer.  My how his career has fallen since this acting gig.  Ever since Trading Places Eddie Murphy has fallen down shit creek.  I only thank god I don't own the Adventures of Pluto Nash, as I never want to watch that drivel again.
Also, having James Earl Jones in this film deliver a Darth Vader line from Return of the Jedi?  Genius writing.  That made this film for me...
1st January 2012 - TENACIOUS D: THE PICK OF DESTINY
I'm not gonna lie, I loves the D!  So watching them on the big screen had to be required.  You know what tho, I'm not much of a fan of this film, I prefer the soundtrack.  Maybe I'm growing up but I no longer find Jack Blacks over-the-top acting style that funny these days, and in this he is playing himself but on more drugs than usual.  Best moment?  The Satan rock-off.  Best character?  Definitely Tim Robbins.  If you havent seen this, then give it a whirl, but only if you know the D.
2nd January 2012 - APOLLO 18
I wanted to catch this at the cinema, as this looked very good in the trailer.  So I tentatively got round to watching it in the comfort of my own home.  As is the case with these sort of films (see the Paranormal Activity series, as well as Insidious) the build up is very good but let down by the ending.  I liked the premises that the Apollo 18 landing was cancelled but actually went through, yet we never knew it.  Shame that the evil entity was nothing more than (SPOILER ALERT) rocks that hold crabs.  Another good preise, another crap ending.  When will Hollywood ever learn?
2nd January 2012 - CEDAR RAPIDS
I had trouble getting hold of this film - I wanted to see it upon its release but, as it wasnt a blockbuster movie none of my local cinemas would show it.  I'm gonna get this out there now - I'm a big Ed Helms fan.  I loved his stuff on the Office, as well as the Hangover films.  Any cameo he has in a film (see Harold & Kumar EFGB & Walk Hard) is played so over the top you can't help but laugh.  Add in John C Reilly to this film & you are laughing!  A weird conference centre bonding weekend turns into a crack smoking, prostitute hugging weekend of debauchery.  Not over the top funny but definitely chuckle funny.  Plus, although Sigourney Weaver looks old, she still knows what to do in the bedroom...as does Anne Heche who gave up eating beef to move back in with sausage - yes, that last comment was referring to fanny & cock!
3rd January 2012 - BLADES OF GLORY
Will Ferrell beats John Heder in hamming it up by playing a sex addict figure skater (where does he come up with these ideas?).  Its a Will Ferrell comedy so you're guaranteed funny moments left right & centre, plus Jenna Fischer is in it & she is hot!  Whats funnier than watching one man getting kicked in the groin?  Two men getting kicked in the groin.  This film has that, and thats why I enjoy it.  Seriously, Will Ferrell is a comedy genius.
3rd January 2012 - THE ANIMAL
Forgive me, please. Yes its Rob Schneider in a film without Adam Sandler (that isn't Deuce Bigalow Male Gigolo), & yes it is a bit crap.  But this film does have its moments.  Namely hearing the words Thats a Huge Bitch right at the start of the film.  That kept me going until seeing Rob get kicked in the crotch by a goat.  That got me through the remaining part of the film.  I give props to Norm MacDonald though, for claiming he wouldnt want to be part of a mob that kills a black guy.  When THATS what you're going for in films, you know a little part of you may have died inside...
3rd January 2012 - UNDER SIEGE
This film reminded me of Christmas - not because it plays any part of the holiday season, just because my Uncle Andrew wants his son Max to have a job that involves him being an ex Navy Seal cook for the Royal Merchant Navy that is also a forensic scientist, but can only handle drownings, who has a witty catchphrase (you just been drowned).  I hadnt laughed so hard in ages.  In essence, this is a film about an ex Navy Seal cook who kills terrorists who've taken over his ship.  I dont know about you, but without a witty catchphrase I prefer my Uncles version of events...
More to come tomorrow peeps, as I update the 2012 1000 Film Challenge yet again!

No comments:

Post a Comment