Monday 23 January 2012

2012 1000 Film Challenge - Day 21

What did I accomplish during Day 21 (and the end of the week) of this challenge?  Well, I watched the following:

21st January 2012 - 50/50
This is a fantastic film.  Granted, it may have been sold as a Cancer Comedy, but its not that at all.  Its actually based on the life of Will Reiser, a screenwriter who learnt he had cancer despite living a healthy life.  This was his story, and - as it was in real life - Seth Rogen is the friend who helps him get through it.

I do know people who have been affected by cancer, and my family is going through something now that hopefully won't ever get to the level of this film, so I was personally affected by this.  Its actually a heart-warming tale of a man with cancer asking for his friends help, and for the love of a good woman.

Towards the end of this film there is a particular scene (when he is due to have the anesthetic put in before his operation to remove the tumour) that had me literally bawling my eyes out.  Those that know me know why this affected me so much, and I hope that - just like the film itself - there is a happy ending.

No wonder this film is rumoured to be nominated for Oscar's, it is that good & I urge you...naye, I implore you, to watch this when you get the chance.

21st January 2012 - WAR HORSE
After watching 50/50, I was more than ready to get emotional about this film, which I heard rave reviews about, although all of them involved people crying at the film.

This is the tale of Albert, a young farmer's son who trains a colt up (called Joey) to be able to be the best horse in the world, and come to him when he whistles (although its actually an owl sound he makes...he is from Devon though, so he can be excused for being a bit backward), only for the horse to be sold to the Army at the start of World War 1.  The horse then gets to fight for the English & the Germans during the 4 years of conflict, before it finally finds its way back to an injured Albert, and they all live happily ever after,

The big question is...did I cry?  The answer is...nope.  Sure, its another heart warming tale, this time of a man & his horse (which is a traitor seeing as it helped the germans murder innocent civilians).  The only time I got a smidgin choked up was when the horse was running through No Mans Land getting caught in barbed wire, at which point the english & german armies made peace to help the horse out.

I know that the original novel was set from the horse's perspective, and this film is like that, however it comes across as too schmaltzy - very cheesy for a Hollywood film, especially one which shows (but doesnt show) the execution of young children.  Its worth a punt though, and by far the star of this film is Sarah Jessica Parker in the mane role (see what I did there?), never seen her act so good!

21st January 2012 - THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK
It had been a long time since I saw Pitch Black (though I did re-purchase it recently, ready to watch at some point this year), but I do remember the Riddick character.  I did actually own this film on DVD for a number of years, but never got round to watching it.

Its a kind of convoluted story that had me scratching my head in places, but that eventually turned into Necromancers vs Riddick.  Its like the matrix on steroids this film.  I should probably watch this again when I wasn't tired & could actually get into it.  Until then, all I can say is that this was a very good-looking film with some good action parts in it too.  So thats not a bad thing in my book!

21st January 2012 - EUROTRIP
Scotty doesn't know.  He really doesn't.  But he finds out right at the start of this film.  Despite having the word Trip in it, this isn't a sequel to Road Trip, tho it does contain a lot of smut & boobs, plus an incestuous brother & sister.  It also has a damn catchy tune running through it.

So Scotty has a girlfriend, but she's humping everyone else.  He also has a male german penpal who wants to meet him.  Cue him calling him a weird fuck, only to find out that it was a girl called Mieke, not - as he thought - a guy called Mike.  This then gives Scotty a reason to travel across Europe to try and get her back.  Along the way he comes up against Vinnie Jones (as a Man Utd fan...shame on you Vinnie!), a french robot, a molesting italian, sexual torture, a young Adolf Hitler, and he becomes pope.

Sure, it sounds stupid & it is, but switch off & enjoy it.  Plus it has boobs in it.  Oh, and for the ladies that read this blog, there is also a lot of sausage on display too.  Too much for my liking but if you like the twig & giggleberries then this may be right up your street!

So week 3 comes to an end with a total of 25 films watched in a week.  Keep a view on the blog to see what I accomplish in week 4!

No comments:

Post a Comment