Friday 20 January 2012

2012 1000 Film Challenge - Day 19

What did I accomplish during Day 19 of this challenge?  Well, I watched the following:

19th January 2012 - THE INBETWEENERS MOVIE
I know that the Inbetweeners isn't everyone's cup of tea, yet I really enjoyed it and got into it by complete accident having seen the 1st series for sale in Golden Disc for just £4.  At school I was an inbetweener, but in a better sense in that I was well in with the cool kids, the rebels, the brainy ones & of course, the nerdstroms.  If I had to pick who I was more like out of the 4, it would definitely be Will.  One, because I have glasses, and two, beause I have a smart mouth that sometimes gets me into trouble...

I've had the pleasure (wait, scratch that, it wasnt a pleasure) to meet James Buckley (Jay) during a DJ event in 2010.  He is an utter cunt.  Plus, aside from the whole "friend" thing, he's actually an annoying wanker in the show.  Thankfully, this film makes him look like a right prick with the focus on Will and Simon for the most of it.

The writing was superb, the one-liners were great and yes, from time-to-time I will occasionally throw on We No Speak Americano and try to bust out some of the greatest dance moves ever seen on celluloid!  Whats not to like in this film?  It had funny one-liners, cringeworthy moments, and boobs!  Plus, as it holds the record as the UK's number one film release (for a british film that is), there is talk of a sequel.  I reckon that could top the original, and I would again pay to see it!

19th January 2012 - THE LOSERS
I got asked to watch this film in 2010 by a friend of mine who was raving about it.  Granted, she had a crush on Jeffery Dean Morgan (aka Robert Downey Jr - that will only be appreciated by about 2 people, but they read this & will give me a slight round of applause for it, I hope!) but it was with trepidation that I watched it back then.  You know what, it was damn good.  So good that this was the first ever Blu-Ray I purchased.

Now, over a year later, I sat down to watch this tale about a group of ragtag special ops soldiers who are believed dead but come back to get revenge on the guy who set them up.  It is still damn good.  Chris Evans (not the ginger DJ) was definitely the comedy sidekick, & seeing him utilise the might of Don't Stop Believing whilst pretending to use mind bullets was great.

The baddy - Max - was played by Jason Patric (aka Michael from Lost Boys).  It looks likes he was okay with being outside these days, so the vampiric gene must have worn off, or he took it out on Corey Haim last year (too soon?  Surely its never too soon to make jokes about the Two Coreys?  Tho Feldman is getting off lightly...he looks like a ferret trying to be Michael Jackson.  There, I said it!).  Patric was so over the top in his role - why cant all baddies be like this?

19th January 2012 - CHILD'S PLAY
Hi I'm Chucky.  Wanna Playyyy?  I hadn't seen this for years, and watching it now has made me realise how Chucky was so much better as a wise-cracking little mother!  Bride of Chucky was full on comedy horror, whilst the first Childs Play was all about the mystery.  In fact, for the 1st 40-45 minutes you don't know its the doll, as Andy & Chucky both have the same clothes and are the same size.  Granted, we know its Chucky doing it, but the filmmakers did well here.

I like puppets, especially foul mouthed murdering ones.  This film had that but minus the wise cracks.  In fact he was a really little shit in this one.  Who would have thunk that Chucky will still be going (rumour has it that a remake is being made to Childs Play to make it more like Bride of Chucky) after this, as I dont think they were expecting a sequel.

It is a shame that the death of Jamie Bulger in 1993 resulted in a major backlash against Chucky & his films, & that this severely damaged the filmmakers reputation, as well as the reputation of the franchise.  With a possible new Chucky film/remake as well as a Chucky game rumoured this year, it could be the year that Charles Lee Ray goes global again!

So my tally for the week is 19 films watched.  I've met my average with 2 days left to go, so I reckon I could beat my 21 films in a week record...will I do it?  Keep an eye on the blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment