Monday 23 January 2012

2012 1000 Film Challenge - Day 20

So, it's Day 20 and I had already reached my average of 19 films in a week.  With my current weekly record set at 21, did I beat it?  At the end of Day 20 I could merely match it, as I could only watch the following:

20th January 2012 - RESIDENT EVIL
I'm gonna admit this now, I only ever played the 1st Resident Evil game for 5 minutes.  I played the 2nd game for about 20 minutes.  Survival horror games are not my thing.  Yet a good zombie film is my thing.  This, unfortunately, isn't one of those films.

I do remember reading the original George A Romero script after this came out & couldn't understand why they didn't go with it.  This film, which involved a viral outbreak at an underground facility, started off by massacring nearly the entire cast, leaving a couple of people to go on & try & get out.  The zombies looked crap, the CGI zombies looked entirely CGI & non-believable, and - aside from seeing Mila Jovovich naked at the end (use the pause button for the bits where she's falling off the table at the end if you don't believe me) there really is nothing much in this film to keep me entertained.

I am thankful that they didnt go along the same route as Danny Boyle and make the zombies superfast, as those from 28 Days/Weeks Later were simply rage infected people.  It was in fact Zak Penn that made the zombies speedy in his remake of Dawn of the Dead, damn him!

I will have to get the remainder of the Resident Evil series, especially now that a 5th film is being released this year.  I know I enjoyed the 2nd film in the series so I will have to blog about that.  I can't say I'm looking forward to watching this series but hopefully by the time I get to the 3rd & 4th films I haven't lost the will to live...wish me luck!

20th January 2012 - SCREAM 2
I loved the Scream films but never got round to watching the original at the cinema, so I was pretty excited at watching Scream 2 on the big screen.  So excited I brought tickets about a week beforehand, something that is pretty much disregarded these days.  Hell, back in 1993 I queued up for 2 hours just to get to watch Jurassic Park the day it was released.  Since then I make sure I get my tickets early, and its not just cinema tickets I'm talking about!

For me, this is the best Scream out of the 4 that have been released.  It has the same mix of horror & comedy that we've come to expect, yet it also had 2 of the most predictable killers ever.  Come on, please tell me that you didn't think KILLER when Roseanne's sister appeared on screen, especially as she was never around long enough to see Sidney Prescott.  And how did I predict the other killer (Mickey)?  Well, during the press conference he's videoing it on a handheld camera.  As The Cox-Arquettes searched for the killer they found the tape with it on.  Plus, he was hardly ever in that film.  It isn't rocket science.

Randy dying was a shocker, but rumour has it that he didnt actually die, and was merely in a coma ready to do battle in Scream 5.  The baddie in that film will be the reconstituted corpse of Chris Benoit.  Yeah, its all BOLLOCKS.

So, 6 days have passed this week and I have matched my record of 21 films in a week.  With one day left to go this week, will I beat this weekly record?  Keep an eye on the blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment