Monday 9 January 2012

2012 1000 Film Challenge - Day 7

Continuing on with my challenge, the first week has been completed and I needed to average 19 films.  Did I do it?  Read on my fellow bloghounds!

Films seen prior to the weekend:

Kingpin
The Money Pit
Coming to America
Tenacious D: Pick of Destiny
Apollo 18
Cedar Rapids
Blades of Glory
The Animal
Under Siege
Stir Crazy
Scream 4
House on Haunted Hill
Eraser
Hostel 3
Lost in Translation
Scott Pilgrim vs the World

So, 16 films seen prior to Saturday, leaving me with 3 films to watch Saturday in order to complete the 19 film average.  Was it done?  Of course it was!  Here's what went down Saturday:

7th January 2012 - FANTASTIC FOUR
I've seen the unreleased Fantastic Four film (with the old guy from Police Academy) & it was pure drivel.  How would this compare?  Very well.  For a comic book movie the effects were good, the story was good & Chris Evans was hilarious as Johnny Storm (Jessica Alba was as hot as always).  Even Michael Chilkis didn't look like a scrotum for most of the film.

This was one set of comic book characters that I do remember as a kid (along with the Harlem Globetrotters - do they have a movie coming out at all?) so watching them take on Von Doom was awesome.

This was a film you can just switch your brain off to & look at the pretty colours.  Sometimes I think I may be a child (or manchild as one of my workmates calls me) who pays little attention to the stuff on screen other than the bright lights.

7th January 2012 - FANTASTIC FOUR: RISE OF THE SILVER SURFER
So we get round to the sequel, immediately after watching the first film.  This is almost a carbon copy of the first film, except with a surfer and & planet eating monster (who you never really see except for some plumes of smoke).  Michael Chilkis does change from the Thing back into Ben Grimm (aka detective Scrotum), & Chris Evans does become the Thing - he makes it work too without throwing in the Christian Bale voice (aka the Batman gravelly throat vocal).

The best part of this film?  Trying to see a cameltoe when Jessica Alba goes up in flame.  Look closely, you may see it.  I have, and I also found the cameltoe on one of Little Mix in the X-Factor final this year.  Yes, I know, I have skills.

7th January 2012 - FINAL DESTINATION 5
I'm not going to lie.  I like the Final Destination series.  Granted, like Saw did, the franchise did away with the smartness of the 1st film & replaced it with people you dont care about who died in much more gory manners. With that in mind, I wasn't holding much hope for the 5th film, though word of mouth about it was very good.

The premonition is all about a bridge collapsing, and people dying horrificly.  I hated most of the people in the film & wanted them all to die, but not Tony Todd, who was making his return following the 2nd film.  Die they did, but in ways that actually had me squirming - the laser eye part was something I couldn't handle & had to look away, as was the acupuncture part.

Anyways, aside from some very dodgy acting, the story ended up being (SPOILER ALERT) a prequel to the first Final Destination film, witht he survivors ending up on the plane that explodes at the start of the first film.  Ever wanted to see a man flattened by an airplane?  Then watch this film.  It is good.  Trust me.

7th January 2012 - HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS PART 2
Having seen each & every Potter film so far, I was looking forward to the end of this "saga".  Having loved the Chris Columbus style of the first couple of films - and loving the darkness of Prisoner of Azkaban - I was bored stiffless watching the Half Blood Prince & Deathly Hallows Part 1 (in which nothing happened).

I have to say I was quite surprised with the end of the Potter saga, it was full of action & that Hermione is looking hot!  But it bugs me that Voldermort has no nose.  He must be a bit peeved.  He had a nose in the 1st Harry Potter film, I swear.  Oh well, it had kinda a happy ending, and most of the supporting cast died, which is usually unheard of in a kids film.

I can't believe that it was over ten years ago that I went to the preview showing of the Philosophers Stone, and that I actually saw another of them at the cinema (Goblet of Fire) but it was a slow day in Australia then. I think I can actually hear kids crying at no more Potter films - surely they're old enough to appreciate the original Star Wars Trilogy now?

7th January 2012 - THE LAST EXORCISM
I put this on at just gone 11pm, making this the last film of the 1st week.  This was the tale of a reverend from Baton Rouge Louisiana who was also an exorcist, but not really, as he faked everything.  He would go across the country to "exorcise" demons from troubled children & livestock with the aid of a whole host of special effects, and he had roped in a film crew to document the fakeness just before he retired.

As you can imagine, the "exorcism" didnt work as the child in question (who actually looked like Michael Cera (from Scott Pilgrim) in a dress) was actually possessed by a demon & the reverend couldnt exorcise a fart.  Strange things start happening, well, I say strange.  I mean boring.  Oh look the childs walking around.  Oh look she's walking some more.  Where is she?  Oh she's over there walking around.  Aside from attempting to drown a childs doll & slicing her deliverance brother in the face with a knife, she's about as scary as my nan sleeping.

What the flip was the point of this film?  It didnt even build anything up during it, and its as if the director just said, make the camera as shaky as possible!  Add to that the ending (SPOILER ALERT) which involved the whole community aborting a demon baby from the child & sacrificing it to fire, I wondered just when I would be able to get the last 90 mins of my life back.  I would have rather watched PS I Love You than this drivel.

So week one is complete, with 21 films viewed.  Time to kick into week 2, so another blog will follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment