Tuesday 10 January 2012

2012 1000 Film Challenge - Day 9

What did I accomplish during Day 9 of this challenge?  Well, I watched the following:

9th January 2012 - THE GOLDEN CHILD
This was Eddie Murphy in his prime, coming just after Beverly Hills Cop blew the box office away.  Does this film work?  Lets look at the checklist:  lead actor providing funny wisecracks? Check.  Lead actress getting her kit off? Almost, bra & pants left on, but will give it a check for now. A brit as the villain (cos we do play them well)? Check. Use of swear words that are no longer used in film? Check.  It has a midget in it too.  Well, its a kid, but thats really just a small adult so I'll take that.

This film though has 2 things going for it though.  1) The Demon looks damn good (Phil Tippett was in charge - he did the Rancor in Return of the Jedi) & scary to young kids.  2) The band Ratt actually became famous for the use of their song Bodytalk in the film.  Forget Round & Round (their other hit), they were the band that Eddie Murphy made.

9th January 2012 - COLLATERAL
I have actually owned this film for a number of years but can't believe that I've never actually watched it.  In fact, last night I watched my housemates copy whilst I was eating my dinner.  First impression of this film?  I never knew Philip Schofield could act as well as that - he's come a long way from gordon the gopher to professional hitman in his time...

As with Heat, Michael Mann has done it again.  A pure awesome story that shows Tom Cruise can, on the odd occasion, act.  Granted, he was much funnier as Les Grossman in Tropic Thunder, but this isn't a comedy (I just like seeing celebrity douches dressed in fat suits.  Apart from Martin Lawrence.  He the bomb yo).

I've sat through the band Wicked Wisdom.  If you don't know them they're Jada Pinkett-Smith's band.  They were at Download 2006.  They were shit.  They were only cheered cos Big Willy Style was getting jiggy with it on stage.  That was 30 minutes of my life I won't ever get bad.  How does this relate to Collateral I hear you ask.  Well, I sat through shit with Jada Pinkett-Smith previously, but in this film she is cute.  Kinda hot.  She has a mahusive head but I still would.  And thats a mark of a good film.

9th January 2012 - NATIONAL TREASURE
Can't beat a bit of Disney right?  Granted its not animated but I love the treasure hunt feel of this film, especially with Nicolas-all I can do is ham the screen up I really should play Porky the Pig-Cage in the lead role.

The story relates to treasure being moved around following the Crusades & the Masons putting ciphers & maps on the back of the Declaration of Independence.  Its a smart move.  I once wrote a film like this.  it involved finding a map hidden within a map, which itself was hidden in a map on a map.  I called it wheres the map?  It was going to star Adam Sandler til I got bored & turned it into the script for Super Squirters 23.

And for the second film today, you have a brit (Sean Bean) as the baddy.  Sheffield accents dont really make us look scary though.

So, the tally for the 2nd week is now 5 films viewed.  I have 5 days left this week in which to watch 14 more films.  Will I do it?  Keep an eye on the blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment