Tuesday 6 December 2011

Christmas and the music associated to it

Its been a few weeks since I last blogged about anything, so I feel its high time to get back on the blogging horse and entertain the "masses" (by that, I mean the 2 or 3 people that read this blog).  My choice of topic today?  Christmas.

Now, I like this time of year.  The dark evenings highlight the Christmas lights well, and I enjoy the practice of giving gifts (I think its more fun than getting anything, as I can pretty much buy anything I need these days).  I know its more for the kids, but do you know the one thing that really grinds my gears?  The lack of recent (and good) christmas songs.

Where did we go wrong?  If you pick up the numerous Christmas Hits albums released at this time of year, you can guarantee that you'll have the same songs on there (Slade, Shakin Stevens, Roy Wizzard, Band Aid, The Pogues, etc).  From 1990 onwards, the highlights of our Christmas songs are East 17 (Stay Another Day), The Spice Girls (2 Become 1), Mr Blobby (Mr Blobby) and Bob the fricking Builder (Can We Fix It).

Do record companies look at the UK and think "They're retards, they'll buy anything!"?  I think Christmas 2009 proved them wrong with Killing in the Name of.  But as each year comes around, I long for someone to release a truly great Christmas song.  Or just re-release Zig & Zags classic Them Girls, Them Girls, They All Love Me.  But no more Cliff Richard.  Unless its the Living Doll version with the Young Ones.

For reference, my top ten favourite Christmas songs are as follows:

1. The Pogues & Kirsty MacColl - Fairytale In New York
2. Queen - Thank God Its Christmas
3. Elton John - Step Into Christmas
4. Slade - Merry Christmas Everybody
5. Band Aid - Do They Know Its Christmas
6. Wizzard - I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday
7. Shakin' Stevens - Merry Christmas Everyone
8. Mel Smith & Kim Wilde - Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree
9. John Lennon & Yoko Ono - Happy Xmas (War Is Over)
10. The Darkness - Christmas Time (Don't Let the Bells End)

More blogs to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment